Want ideas for Instagram captions about Amsterdam and looking for the best quotes and puns as well as Amsterdam hashtags? Amsterdam is an incredible city to explore, and undoubtedly one of the most fascinating cities in Europe.
Whether you’re visiting Amsterdam for 24 hours, for several days, or even you live there, this city will capture your heart and you’ll always find plenty beautiful places. There are honestly photo opportunities around every corner here, whether it’s of the canals, the beautiful squares, the cute houses or the vibrant Red Light District.
So with all your Amsterdam Instagram photos you’ll most likely want to find some great captions about Amsterdam to go with them. This article cuts out all the hard work of trying to come up with a caption for your Instagram photo as it gives you all the best Instagram captions, puns and quotes about Amsterdam, as well as the best and most trending Amsterdam hashtags!
Whether you’re looking for some inspiration to visit Amsterdam or you need some captions to go along with your Instagram photos, you’ll find 130 Amsterdam captions here, from funny Amsterdam puns to meaningful captions and famous quotes. You’ll also find captions specifically about the Red Light District, Canals and Tulips as well as over 40 hashtags for your Amsterdam Instagram pictures right here!
Looking for Instagram captions for other cities? Check out these articles:
I have also included several useful links on this page to popular Get Your Guide activities and the best excursions to do when in Amsterdam, so if you are planning your Amsterdam trip make sure to book in a few activities! You can click on the ‘fun things to do’ link below, or on any of the activity links. These are affiliate links, which mean I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Best Amsterdam Instagram Captions
- Amsterdam is calling and I must go
- I left my heart in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam, a city of sin and canals.
- Hands up if you’ve fallen in love with Amsterdam
- Some places just feel like home. Amsterdam is one of them
- Doing this sweet thing called visiting Amsterdam
- You call it a city of sin, I call it a city of freedom.
- Happiness is holding tickets that say Amsterdam!
- Yep, still rinsing the Amsterdam pics
- Once upon a time in Amsterdam
- You had me at goedemorgen
- Never met a canal I didn’t like
- AMS = absoloutely magical streets
Short Amsterdam Captions For Instagram
- From Amsterdam with love
- I’d rather be in Amsterdam
- Postcard from Amsterdam
- Daydreaming in Amsterdam
- When in Amsterdam…
- Gram the dam
- I amsterdam
- Amsterdam, I’m yours!
- Goedemorgen Amsterdam
- Small city, big heart
- Dutch courage
- I really, really like Amsterdam
- Paradise isn’t always tropical
- Meet me by the canal
- P.S. I love Amsterdam
Amsterdam Captions About Bicycles
The locals all get around Amsterdam in bicycles and you’ll see them everywhere around the city! They make for some great Instagrammable photos, so here you’ll find captions about the Amsterdam bicycles!
- My favourite city to pedal around in
- The city of bikes
- Biking my way through Amsterdam
- I cycle therefore I Amsterdam
- Bikers gonna bike
- They say you never forget how to ride a bike. Let’s find out if that’s true
- Cycling in Amsterdam was a piece of a pancake
- Dreaming of this bike ride and this beautiful place
Amsterdam Puns & Funny Amsterdam Captions
37. ‘Dam good vibes
- Doing it for the Amster-gram!
- Having a ‘Dam good time in Amsterdam!
- Well, I’ll be ‘Dam-ed
43. Amsterspamming your feed with photos from my trip
- Amsterdam, I love you so Dutch
45. Dutch you just love Amsterdam?
- Too Dutch of a good thing
- You canal think what you want, but I’m never coming home!
- What did the police get in Amsterdam? A massage in a brothel
More Funny Amsterdam Captions & Puns
- Do you think our tu-lips should kiss? Methinks yes
- Do you like windmills? ‘Cos the dutch are big fans!
- Dutch is life
- Dutch of a dutchness
- Amsterdam definitely met our high expectations
- In Amsterdam, everyone’s a bit of a cycle-path
59. Anne Frankly, I think this is the best weekend ever
Amsterdam Captions & Puns About Food & Drink
60. Amstel thinking of that time in Amsterdam when…
61. Amstel in love with Amsterdam
- On the search for the best stroopwafel in Amsterdam
- All you need is love and stroopwafel
- Enjoying life one stroopwafel at a time
- I had a waffle good time in Amsterdam
- I didn’t strut through Amsterdam. I stroop-waffled along
Amsterdam Quotes For Instagram Captions
- “Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth, it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin.” – John Green
- “San Francisco is a lot like Amsterdam – free, open-minded and casual – though I expected better weather.”– Marcel Wanders
- “I think Amsterdam is to Holland what New York is to America. It’s a metropolis, so it’s representative of Holland, but only a part of it – you know, it’s more extreme, there’s more happening, it’s more liberal and more daring than the countryside in Holland is.” – Anton Corbijn
- “My experience in Amsterdam is that cyclists ride where the hell they like and aim in a state of rage at all pedestrians while ringing their bell loudly, the concept of avoiding people being foreign to them.”– Terry Pratchett
- “The many cultures in Amsterdam contribute to the city’s high level of craziness – something which every interesting city should offer.” – Charles Landry
- “Stand outside De Eland on the Berenstraat Bridge over the Prinsengracht and you see what real Amsterdam life is like.” – David Hewson
- “What’s special about Amsterdam is that the city is able to connect worlds that are not otherwise connected.” – Marcel Wanders
- “Amsterdam’s my favourite place to visit.” – Bianca Del Rio
- “In Europe, I always have fun bike riding in Amsterdam.” – Ezra Koenig
- “I can be a bit nerdy so I need a good, clearly marked map, as you can miss out on some of the coolest places in Amsterdam if you don’t have a wander down the little side streets.”– Gregory Porter
- “I love Amsterdam. The city is vibrant and alive. It’s fresh and so open. It’s definitely one of my favourite places.” – Stefon Harris
More Amsterdam Quotes For Instagram Captions
- “Amsterdam is like the rings of a tree: It gets older as you get closer to the centre.” – John Green
- “Historic Amsterdam, that old part you first see when you turn up at Centraal Station, may have it’s monuments, but it’s also the most tawdry and overcrowded part of the city.’ – David Hewson
- “Amsterdam lives and breathes creativity. One moment you walk into a building from the 17th century and the next you find yourself in a hub of creative start-up companies.” – Marcel Wanders
- “You could spend your time with your nose buried in a guidebook, but Amsterdam really is best explored on foot, so you can stumble upon the city’s hidden gems. The architecture and the beauty of some of the buildings is also wonderful.” – Gregory Porter
- “Amsterdam is not Holland. It is a city that attracts people from all over Holland. And lots of international tourists and party people.” – Eddy de Clercq
- “Here people cycle with a reckless swagger, talking on the phone and eating breakfast.” – David Nicholls
- “In a city like London, the fact that cultures live together and cross-fertilize is a beautiful and natural thing. The many cultures in Amsterdam contributed to the city’s high level of craziness – something which every interesting city should offer. But sometimes immigrants can live in parallel worlds which can exclude others and not be very attractive.” – Charles Landry
- “Amsterdam is a breeding ground for new creative pursuits in many areas fuelled by a tolerance and openness to ideas unlike any other city I’ve been to. There is something for everyone here, especially when you dare to go off the beaten path.” – Marcel Wanders
- “Martin said, “It feels as though part of my self has detached and gone to Amsterdam, where it—she—is waiting for me. Do you know about phantom limb syndrome?” Julia nodded. “There’s pain where she ought to be. It’s feeding the other pain, the thing that makes me wash and count and all that. So her absence is stopping me from going to find her. Do you see?”– Audrey Niffenegger
Quotes About Amsterdam Canals
- “Amsterdam was a great surprise to me. I had always thought of Venice as the city of canals; it had never entered my mind that I should find similar conditions in a Dutch town.” – James Weldon Johnson
- “Amsterdam has more than 150 canals and 1,250 bridges but it never seems crowded, nor bent and bitter from fleecing the tourist.” – Julie Burchill
- “In Amsterdam, the water is the mistress and the land the vassal.” – Félix Martí Ibáñez
- “Amsterdam. It is so cute and quaint. I rode bicycles around the city and through the tiny little streets, rented a paddleboat and had a picnic lunch on the canals.” – Bridget Marquardt
- “In Amsterdam, the river and canals have been central to city life for the last four centuries.” – Janet Echelman
- “But words are water in Amsterdam” – Jessie Burton
Many people visit The Netherlands in the spring to see the tulip fields. They are so vast, colourful and impressive and definitely deserve some attention on your Instagram feed! Here are some tulip quotes to go with your tulip photos.
- “‘Tulip Fever’ did change my life. It did that thing that sometimes happens when a book takes off – it opened doors on to whole other worlds.” – Deborah Moggach
- “Tulips were a tray of jewels.” – E.M.Forster
- “A tulip doesn’t strive to impress anyone. It doesn’t struggle to be different than a rose. It doesn’t have to. It is different. And there’s room in the garden for every flower. You didn’t have to struggle to make your face different that anyone else’s on earth. It just is. You are unique because you were created that way. Look at little children in kindergarten. They’re all different without trying to be. As long as they’re unselfconsciously being themselves, they can’t help but shine. It’s only later, when children are taught to compete, to strive to be better than others, that their natural light becomes distorted.” – Marianne Williamson
- “How can you be content to be in the world like tulips in a garden, to make a fine show, and be good for nothing.” – Mary Astell
Amsterdam Red Light District Quotes
- “Most visitors to Amsterdam will wander into the red-light district out of sheer curiosity. The narrow streets are mostly safe day and night – just don’t try to take pictures of the women working in the windows.” – David Hewson
- “I was told David Letterman and Kaufman had heart attacks on the same day. David Letterman’s heart attack was at a hospital in NYC. Kaufman’s heart attack was at the red light district in Amsterdam. I think Kaufman had more fun.” – Howard Stern
- “When the Internet arrived in Ireland… it was like having Amsterdam’s Red Light District in your own living room.” – Tom Dunne
- “Our city has a rich history, even though many tourists are only wanting to see the Red Light District.” – John Green
- “Jan-Peter offered to teach me the language of Amsterdam’s Red Light District… but after his first phrase ‘Using the back door will cost you double’ I withdrew my request.” – Cristina Garcia
Amsterdam Marijuana Quotes
Whether or not you agree with the legalisation of marijuana in Amsterdam, there’s no getting away from it! Here are some marijuana quotes for your Amsterdam trip.
- “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” – Bob Marley
- “That is not a drug, it’s a leaf.’ – Arnold Schwarzeneggar
- “Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn’t the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit… unnatural?” – Bill Hicks
- “The legalisation of marijuana is not a dangerous experiment – the prohibition is the experiment, and it has failed dramatically, with millions of victims all around the world.” – Sebastian Marincolo
- “I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is a flower… God put it here.’ – Willie Nelson
- “Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating.” – Richard Neville
- “Marijuana is quite possibly the finest of intoxicants. It has been scientifically proven, for decades, to be much less harmful to the body than alcohol when used on a regular basis. (Google ‘Science”)” – Nick Offerman
Quotes From Famous Dutch People & People Who Lived In Amsterdam
- “I’m just a girl from Amsterdam.” – Eva Simons
- “I often think that the night is more alive and more richly coloured than the day” – Van Gogh
- “I am a village boy, and Amsterdam for me was always the big town.” – Anton Corbijn
- “I have always lived in Amsterdam. During the war, we inhabited the Rivieren neighbourhood where many Jews lived at the time. Our downstairs neighbours were Jews, and there were also Jews a few houses from us. We saw how they were rounded up and taken away. That made a very great impression on me.” – Els Borst
- “The Annex is an ideal place to hide in. It may be damp and lopsided, but there’s probably not a more comfortable hiding place in all of Amsterdam. No, in all of Holland.” – Anne Frank
Anne Frank Quotes
When you are in Amsterdam you must visit the Anne Frank House. Anne Frank was a young Jewish girl who went into hiding for 2 years in Amsterdam during the Nazi occupation of The Netherlands. She kept a diary of her experiences and you can visit the actual house where she hid from the Nazis. Anne Frank was very inspiring and there are many famous quotes written by her.
- “Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.” – Anne Frank
- “Whoever is happy will make others happy.” – Anne Frank
- “Where there’s hope, there’s life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.” – Anne Frank
- “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank
- “In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” – Anne Frank
- “Where there’s hope, there’s life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.” – Anne Frank
- “Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands.” – Anne Frank
- “Memories mean more to me than dresses.” – Anne Frank
- “As long as this exists, this sunshine and this cloudless sky, and as long as I can enjoy it, how can I be sad?” – Anne Frank
- “The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is! – Anne Frank
- “I think it’s odd that grown-ups quarrel so easily and so often and about such petty matters. Up to now I always thought bickering was just something children did and that they outgrew it.” – Anne Frank
- “People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn’t stop you from having your own opinion.” – Anne Frank
- “Dead people receive more flowers than the living ones because regret is stronger than gratitude.” – Anne Frank
- “But feelings can’t be ignored, no matter how unjust or ungrateful they seem.” – Anne Frank
- “The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. As long as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles” – Anne Frank
- “I can’t imagine how anyone can say; ‘I’m weak’, and then remain so. After all, if you know it, why not fight against it, why not train you character?” – Anne Frank
- “There’s only one rule you need to remember: laugh at everything and forget everybody else! It sounds egotistical, but it’s actually the only cure for those suffering from self-pity.” – Anne Frank
Here are the best 42 Amsterdam hashtags to use for your Instagram or TikTok!
amsterdam #netherlands #holland #nederland #amsterdamcity #dutch #iamsterdam #instagood #amsterdamlife #amsterdamcanals #thenetherlands #travelphotography #travel #visitamsterdam #travelgram #haarlem #amsterdamshots #igersamsterdam #amsterdamworld #iloveamsterdam #amsterdamview #amsterdamfood #ajaxamsterdam #bestofamsterdam #thankyouamsterdam #amsterdam_streets #amsterdamn #loveamsterdam #awesomeamsterdam #amsterdamart #amsterdamgram #instaamsterdam #ig_amsterdam #newamsterdam #topamsterdamphoto #wonderlustamsterdam #denhaag #amsterdamweed #amsterdamnoord #amsterdamvibe #amsterdamcentraal #igamsterdam
Amsterdam Captions, Quotes, Puns & Hashtags Summary
I hope you got lots of inspiration and ideas from these Amsterdam Instagram captions, quotes, puns and hashtags and were able to find the perfect one to go with your photos! Whether it’s a famous quote, a funny pun or short caption, you’ll find one perfect for your Instagram photo of Amsterdam!
Do you know any other famous quotes or captions about Amsterdam? Feel free to leave any in the comments below if so!
Travel quotes inspire us all right? If you are looking for some more inspirational quotes check these out:
Best Sunset Captions & Quotes For Instagram
75 Best Inspirational Travel Adventure Quotes
Cabin Crew Quotes