Looking for some great captions, quotes or puns about London to share to Instagram? London – capital of the UK, is a fascinating place and a place everyone should visit at least once!
There is always something going on in London, from the London Eye to the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, Piccadilly, Leicester Square, Shoreditch, Covent Garden, Oxford Street, Hyde Park – it’s always buzzing!
London was my home for many years and it holds a very special place in my heart so I’ve compiled all my favourite captions, puns and quotes about London – just pick the one that will go perfectly with your pictures!
If you’re heading to London, you’re there right now, or you’re just wanderlusting and looking for some inspiration on this incredible city, you’ll find 308 funny captions, short captions, meaningful quotes and puns for your London Instagram pictures right here, as well as quotes and captions specifically about Buckingham Palace, The London Eye, London Underground and Big Ben!
Best London Captions For Instagram
1. A bad day in London is still better than a good day anywhere else.
2. There’s no time to be bored in London.
3. I will never tire of London.
4. London is the place for me .
5. Keep calm and go to London.
6. It’s London baby!
7. There’s no place like London.
8. When in doubt, go to London!
9. Left my heart in London.
10. London is calling, so I must go.
Best London Quotes For Instagram Captions
11. ‘When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.’ – Samuel Johnson
12. ‘The man who can dominate a London dinner-table can dominate the world.’ – Oscar Wilde
13. “By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.” – Samuel Johnson
14. “There’s nowhere else like London. Nothing at all, anywhere.” – Vivienne Westwood
15. “Sir, London is a strange place, and you must look with a keen eye, and stay in it a great while before you will be a master of half its expedients.” – Randall
16. “I think London is sexy because it’s so full of eccentrics.” – Rachel Weisz
17. “London has now become almost like a gigantic frog! With its long tongue it draws curious insects from all over the world inside itself!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
18. ‘All my life, I’ve wanted to see London. I wanted to see London the way old people want to see the home before they die.’ ― Helene Hanff
Quotes By People Who Love London
19. “I travel continuously, and I see many cities, but there is nowhere like London.” – Norman Foster
20. “Aesthetically, London is just beautiful; it’s a gorgeous city. The architecture, monuments, the parks, the small streets – it’s an incredible place to be.” – Sara Bareilles
21. “It is difficult to speak adequately or justly of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or cheerful, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent.” – Henry James
22. “I’ve been walking about London for the last 30 years, and I find something fresh in it every day.” – Walter Besant
23. “One of the things I most liked about the city – apart from all its obvious attractions – the theatre, the galleries, the exhilarating walks by the river – was that so few people ever asked you personal questions.” – Julia Gregson
24. “Sir, if you wish to have a just notion of the magnitude of this city, you must not be satisfied with seeing its great streets and squares, but must survey the innumerable little lanes and courts. It is not in the showy evolutions of buildings, but in the multiplicity of human habitations which are crowded together, that the wonderful immensity of London consists.” – Samuel Johnson
25. London is lovable in its sprawling confusion’ – Joseph Fort Newton
Inspiring Quotes About London For Instagram Captions
26. “I like the spirit of this great London which I feel around me.” – Charlotte Bronte
27. “If you’re curious, London’s an amazing place.” – David Bailey
28. “The vibe of London as a city is captivating. It’s both fast-paced and extremely rushed but still has the calmness that would attract any big-city person.” – Ali Fazal
29. “In this city, 300 languages are spoken and the people that speak them live side by side in harmony. This city typifies what I believe is the future of the human race and a future where we grow together and we share and we learn from each other.” – Ken Livingstone
30. “London is a world by itself. We daily discover in it more new countries, and surprising singularities, than in all the universe besides.” – Thomas Brown
Short Captions About London
31. Live. Love. London.
32. London, baby!
34. From London with love
35. London is my therapy
36. London calling!
37. London is a world in itself
38. Winning London
39. I wish London wasn’t so far away.
40. Serving looks from London.
London Puns & Jokes For Instagram Captions
41. Let’s cross that London Bridge when we get to it
42. I am Lon-done
43. Fifty Shades of Earl Grey
44. This little piggy went to Borough Market
45. The perfect west-end to the perfect trip
46. The traffic in London is like a Piccadilly Circus
47. Chel-see you later London
48. Soho in love with this city
49. I hack-need to get back to London
50. I love you a Dals-ton
51. The street art in London is very ad-mural-able.
Cute London Captions For Instagram
52. Falling hard for London
53. London: I am in love.
54. London, you have my heart
55. London is always a good idea
56. All you need is love (and a trip to London)
57. London on a sunny day is my idea of heaven
58. Up in the clouds, on my way to London.
59. If you need me, I’ll be on the Piccadilly line
60. Money can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you a ticket to London.
Funny London Captions
61. It’s always pub o’clock in London.
62. If you need me, you’ll find me in Borough Market stuffing my face with delicious food. PS: don’t need me.
63. London hair, don’t care.
64. Be right back, going to London. (Just kidding, be back never).
65. London Fundon!
66. Talk British to me
67. Finding Mary Poppins in London town.
68. Studying abroad at Hogwarts
Funny London Quotes For Instagram Captions
69. ‘A person who is tired of London is not necessarily tired of life; it might be that he just can’t find a parking place.’ – Paul Theroux
70. “How can you ever be late for anything in London? They have a huge clock right in the middle of the town.” – Jimmy Kimmel
71. “Oh, I love the London Society! It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what society should be.” – Oscar Wilde
72. “Stopping abruptly in central London is a heinous crime, and immediately gives the people around you permission to kick you.” – Beth O’Leary
73. “When it’s three o’clock in New York, it’s still 1938 in London.” – Bette Midler
74. “My cousin is gay, he went to London only to find out that Big Ben was a clock.” – Rodney Dangerfield
75. “London is a splendid place to live in for those who can get out of it.” -George John Gordon Bruch
76. “London is like a woman with too many years to encourage confession.” – Louise Closser Hale
77. “London is a huge shop, with a hotel on the upper storeys.” – George Gissing
78. ‘It must be said that Brighton, unlike London, makes driving seem very appealing. Instead of glowering faces and angry horns on all sides, we have the coast road in front of us and the Sussex Downs just 10 minutes behind us.’ – Julie Burchill
London Weather Puns
79. I tried to grab a pic of the London fog, but I mist.
80. In winter, London makes a great frost impression.
81. The cold here is snow joke.
82. I’m about to enjoy the showers of London
83. Trying to make our way around London, but we don’t have the foggiest idea where we are.
84. The fog was so thick we mist our tour.
Quotes About London Weather For Instagram Captions
85. “Take a perfect day, add six hours of rain and fog, and you have instant London.” – Unknown
86. ‘I’m leaving because the weather is too good. I hate London when it’s not raining.’ – Groucho Marx
87. “London is too full of fogs and serious people. Whether the fogs produce serious people, or whether the serious people produce the fogs, I don’t know.” – Oscar Wilde
88. “Wet weather in London, but when was it anything else?” – Cassandra Clare
89. “Everything in London is quite good, apart from the weather: it’s cold and rainy there, and the winter is long.” – Sayed Kashua
90. “In London, the weather would affect me negatively. I react strongly to light. If it is cloudy and raining, there are clouds and rain in my soul.” -Jerzy Kosinski
91. “The English mist is always at work like a subtle painter, and London is a vast canvas prepared for the mist to work on.” – Arthur Symons
92. ‘And marbled clouds go scudding by. The many-steepled London sky’ – John Betjeman
93. “Fog everywhere. Fog up the river…fog down the river…fog on the Essex marshes, fog on the Kentish heights. Fog creeping into the cabooses of collier-brigs; fog lying out on the yards…fog drooping on the gunwales of barges and small boats. Fog in the eyes and throats of ancient Greenwich pensioners… fog in the stem and bowl of the afternoon pipe of the wrathful skipper…fog cruelly pinching the toes and fingers of his shivering little ’prentice boy on deck.” – Charles Dickens
Buckingham Palace Instagram Captions
94. Visiting Buckingham Palace but I’m having a bad heir day!
95. Living like the royals
96. Wear your crown and go to London.
97. Becoming a royal at Buckingham Palace.
98. Just picking up my crown
99. Feeling like a Queen in London.
100. Looking for the King in London Town.
101. Yes, I’m a queen. Thanks for asking.
102. Hope the King doesn’t see me – I’m having a bad heir day!
103. What’s up, MTV. Welcome to my palace.
104. Visiting the King
105. Home is where the palace is
Big Ben Puns, Captions & Quotes
106. Oops, I did it Big Ben.
107. Where have you Ben all my life?
108. Feeling ticked off at Big Ben.
109. Enjoying hour day at Big Ben.
110. On a big ben-der
111. Relationship status: crushing on Big Ben
112. Friends with big ben-efits
113. Saying hi to my bestie, Big Ben.
114. “Big Ben was beginning to strike, first the warning, musical; then the hour, irrevocable.” – Virginia Woolf
115. ‘Look, a clock. We don’t have that in America’ – Ron Swanson
London Eye Quotes for Instagram Captions
116. “The best thing about the London Eye is the journey. It’s not like the Eiffel tower, where you get in a dark lift and come out on to a platform at the top. The trip round is as important as the view.” – Julia Barfield
117. “How to relish our lives’ ups and downs is something that the London Eye can teach every soul.” – Unknown
118. “If you need me, find me near to the sky, at the highest seat of the London Eye.” – Unknown
119. “Our life is very similar to the London Eye; we need to overcome our fears for enjoying the mesmerizing view.” – Unknown
120. “Visit the city of London, and find yourself at the top of the world.” – Unknown
121. “Love, it is another London Eye. It keeps rotating your emotions and feelings. Maybe our heart is the axis of that rotation.” – Unknown
122. “Yes, every second of yours have the same capacity. One minute you are at the bottom; in the next, you touch the heights of the sky. Stay in your seat and enjoy your ride up to the top.” – Unknown
123. “She’s got a ticket to ride.” – The Beatles, “Ticket To Ride”
London Eye Captions For Instagram
124. I spy with my London Eye
125. London, Eye’m a fan!
126. Eye spy.
127. London, Eye am I a big fan
128. Eye see you London
129. Eye came, Eye saw, Eye conquered
130. Oh, Eye see you.
131. Got my London Eye on the prize
132. If you need me, I’ll be at the top of the London eye
133. You’re the apple of my London Eye
134. On top of the world
135. P-eye in the sky
136. Eye am never leaving London
137. Getting a bird’s eye view from the London Eye.
138. Eye’m all about the beautiful views.
139. I love you to the top of the London Eye and back.
London Underground Quotes & Captions for Instagram
140. Mind the gap.
141. “London created the Underground, and the Underground created London.” – John Lanchester
142. “If you go into an underground train in London – probably anywhere, but chiefly in London – there’s that sense of almost entering a ghostly dimension. People are very still and quiet; they don’t exchange many pleasantries.” – Seamus Heaney
Afternoon Tea Captions & Puns
143. Having a brew-tiful time
144. London is my cup of tea
145. Never met a scone I didn’t like
146. I’m bad to the scone
147. Sticks and scones may break my bones.
148. Pass the scones
149. I’m taking life one scone at a time.
150. Missing tea in London – you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s scone
151. Here’s the hot tea from London.
152. From now on, sweet dreams are made of scones and sight-seeing in London
153. Can you pass the tea and scones, please?
154. Life is like a cup of tea. It’s all in how you make it.
155. Tea is always a good idea.
Afternoon Tea Quotes
156. “The British never seem to do anything until they’ve had a cup of tea, by which time it’s too late.” – Lauren Bacall, North West Frontier
157. “In London, love and scandal are considered the best sweeteners of tea.” – John Osborne
158. “Ecstasy is a glass full of tea and a piece of sugar in the mouth.” – Alexander Pushkin
159. “Tea is the elixir of life.” – Eisai, Kissa Yojoki
160. “Tea at the Ritz is the last delicious morsel of Edwardian London. The light is kind, the cakes are frivolous and the tempo is calm, confident and leisurely.” – Helen Simpson
161. “You’ll never find a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – Winston Churchill
162. “Yes, that’s it! Said the Hatter with a sigh, it’s always tea time.” – Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
163. “Tea’s proper use is to amuse the idle, and relax the studious, and dilute the full meals of those who cannot exercise, and will not use abstinence.” – Samuel Johnson
River Thames Instagram Captions, Quotes & Puns
164. Having the Thames of my life.
165. I can’t be Thamed
166. Having the best Thames in London
167. Watching the River Thames is one of the world’s most famous live streams.
168. “The Thames is no ordinary waterway, it is the golden thread of our nation’s history.” – Winston Churchill
169. “The Thames is liquid history.” – John Burns
170. “I have admired the romantic elegance of the Place de la Concorde in Paris, have felt the mystic message from a thousand glittering windows at sunset in New York, but to me the view of the London Thames from our hotel window transcends them all for utilitarian grandeur – something deeply human.” – Charlie Chaplin
171. “Twenty bridges from Tower to Kew – Wanted to know what the River knew, Twenty Bridges or twenty-two, For they were young, and the Thames was old. And this is the tale that River told” – Rudyard Kipling
Quotes About London Compared To Other Cities & Countries
172. “Paris is a woman but London is an independent man puffing his pipe in a pub.” – Jack Kerouac
173. “I thought of Paris as a beauty spot on the face of the earth, and of London as a big freckle.” – James Weldon Johnson
174. “New York has a great energy, but London is better.” – Jaime Winstone
175. ‘If London is a watercolor, New York is an oil painting.’ – Peter Shaffer
176. “London isn’t a stodgy place. Trend-setting London is to the United Kingdom what New York City is to the United States: the spot where everything happens first.” – Donald Olson
177. “London is the epitome of our times, and the Rome of today.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
178. “In some of the great cities of Europe – Paris, Vienna, Prague, and Brussels – tourists bored with life above ground can descend below. All these cities have sewer museums and tours, and all expose their underbelly willingly to the curious. But not London, arguably the home of the most splendid sewer network in Europe.” – Rose George
179. ‘I have admired the romantic elegance of the Place de la Concorde in Paris, have felt the mystic message from a thousand glittering windows at sunset in New York, but to me the view of the London Thames from our hotel window transcends them all for utilitarian grandeur – something deeply human’ – Charlie Chaplain
180. “Italy and London are the only places where I don’t feel to exist on sufferance.” – E.M. Forster
Quotes & Captions About Food In London
181. “Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary-f**king-Poppins. London!” – Dennis Farina
182. “It takes some skill to spoil a breakfast – even the English can’t do it.” – John Kenneth Galbraith
183. “To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day.” – W. Somerset Maugham
184. “On the Continent people have good food; in England people have good table manners.” – George Mikes
185. You are the fish to my chips.
186. The more fish and chips the merrier.
187. It’s always tea time in London.
Empowering Quotes About London
188. “In London, everyone is different, and that means anyone can fit in.” – Paddington Bear
189. “He dreamed of London and of a life that mattered.” – J.K. Rowling
190. “When exploring London, you will come across lots of excitement by chance, so try to take everything in rather than just rushing around to all of the major tourist haunts.” – Richard Branson
191. “To walk alone in London is the greatest rest.” – Virginia Woolf
192. “There’s only one London. That’s it. We are what we are.” – Craig Taylor
193. “London is not a city, London is a person. Tower Bridge talks to you; National Gallery reads a poem for you; Hyde Park dances with you; Palace of Westminster plays the piano; Big Ben and St Paul’s Cathedral sing an opera! London is not a city; it is a talented artist who is ready to contact you directly!”– Mehmet Murat ildan
Powerful Quotes About London For Instagram Captions
194. “London goes beyond any boundary or convention. It contains every wish or word ever spoken, every action or gesture ever made, every harsh or noble statement ever expressed. It is illimitable. It is Infinite London.” – Peter Ackroyd
195. “You find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” – Samuel Johnson
196. “Fragmentarily the City is nothing, but collectively it is gigantic.” – Charlotte Riddell
197. “The city defeated him. It refused to be bent into shape; it stayed a willful, sprawling, sinful place. It even told him as much.” –Jonathan Barnes
198. “London is a world in itself. It contains within itself all that is gorgeous in wealth, and all that is squalid in poverty; all that is illustrious in knowledge, and all that is debased in ignorance; all that is beautiful in virtue, and all that is revolting in crime. Adequately to chronicle and to describe such a city is a task beyond any individual powers.” – Charles Knight
Love London Quotes
199. “There is always a romance that we leave behind in London, and always London enlocks that flower for us and keeps it fresh so that when we come back we have our romance again.” – Stella Benson
200. “A broken heart is a very pleasant complaint about a man in London if he has a comfortable income.” – George Bernard Shaw
201. “The most wonderful thing in life is to be delirious and the most wonderful kind of delirium is being in love. In the morning mist, hazy and amorous, London was delirious. London squinted as it floated along, milky pink, without caring where it was going.” – Yevgeny Zamyatin
202. ‘London, thou art the flower of cities all!’ – William Dunbar
Love London Captions
203. London on a sunny day is my idea of heaven
204. Oh darling, why don’t we just stay in London
205. All you need is love and a vacation in London
206. London, you have my heart
207. London, thank you for making me feel so alive
208. Hello London, your lights are fireflies in my heart
209. Signing this postcard from London with love
Quotes About London Culture
210. “I went to London because, for me, it was the home of literature. I went there because of Dickens and Shakespeare.” – Ben Okri
211. ‘The English language is like London: proudly barbaric yet deeply civilized, too, common yet royal, vulgar yet processional, sacred yet profane.’ -Stephen Fry
212. “History and tradition greet you at every turn in London; it’s also one of the coolest, most modern cities in the world. If London contained only landmarks such as Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace, it would still rank as one of the world’s great destinations, but Britain’s capital is much more. People come to glimpse the royals and stop by hot galleries; to take in theater and trendy shops; to sample tea and scones or cutting-edge cuisine. When you need a break from the action, pop into a pub, relax in a park—or take a walk and make London your own.” – Fodors
213. “London has changed enormously and so have the English in the past decade. They’re more like Americans and more like Europeans, too. They’re always eating out, and when they’re at home they don’t cook the way they did ten years ago. They’re all sitting around in cafés, like the Continentals, drinking coffee and chattering and watching the world go by.” – Doris Lessing
214. ‘I don’t know what London’s coming to — the higher the buildings the lower the morals.’ – Noël Coward
London At Night Quotes
215. “Live your life in any way, London says. It encourages defiance. I loved what it gave me, who allowed me to be. On the nights I could afford a minicab home, I rolled down the window while crossing the river and watched the lights on the water, knowing most late-night mini-cabbers were reaffirming their love of London with the same view. I loved its messiness, its attempts at order. I loved the anonymity it afforded.” – Craig Taylor
216. “I like walking around London at night, I do it all the time. Not for no reason, just cos it’s home, innit? It’s brilliant, you can’t ever get bored of London cos even if you live here for like a hundred and fifty years you still won’t ever know everything about it.” – Richard Rider
217. “One thing about London is that when you step out into the night, it swallows you.” – Sebastian Faulks
218. “London was beginning to illuminate herself against the night. Electric lights sizzled and jagged in the main thoroughfares, gas-lamps in the side streets glimmered a canary gold or green. The sky was a crimson battlefield of spring, but London was not afraid. Her smoke mitigated the splendour, and the clouds down Oxford Street were a delicately painted ceiling, which adorned while it did not distract. She has never known the clear-cut armies of the purer air.” – E.M. Forster
Quotes About Old London
219. “As to London we must console ourselves with the thought that if life outside is less poetic than it was in the days of old, inwardly its poetry is much deeper.” – Goldwin Smith
220. “London is a city that has reinvented itself upon the remains of the past.” – Leo Hollis
221. “Behind everything in London is something else, and, behind that, is something else still; and so on through the centuries, so that London, as we see her, is only the latest manifestation of other Londons, and to love, she is to plunge into ancestor-worship.” H. V. Morton
222. “For the bookish, London is a book. For criminals, a map of opportunities. For unpapered immigrants, it is a nest of skinned eyes; sanctioned gunmen ready to blow your head off as you run for a train. When the city of distorting mirrors revealed itself, through its districts and discriminations, I discovered more about London’s past as a reworking of my own submerged history.” – Iain Sinclair
Quotes About Londoners
223. “London’s greatest strength is our diversity, and it’s wonderful to see Londoners celebrating our capital’s different traditions, determined to stand up to division.” – Sadiq Khan – Mayor of London
224. “It is not the walls that make the city, but the people who live within them. The walls of London may be battered, but the spirit of the Londoner stands resolute and undismayed.” – King George VI
225. “My Dad says that being a Londoner has nothing to do with where you’re born. He says that there are people who get off a jumbo jet at Heathrow, go through immigration waving any kind of passport, hop on the tube and by the time the train’s pulled into Piccadilly Circus they’ve become a Londoner.” – Ben Aaronovitch
226. ‘Londoners, with their noses pressed to cold windows, smiled, for a mid-summer storm was raging across England. Zeus had blessed their land, taking away the bright happy sun and replacing it with gusty winds, lashing rain, and utter misery.’ – Unknown
Living In London Quotes
227. “Most people live in the city and go to the country at the weekend, and that’s posh and aristocratic, but actually to live in the country and come to London when you can’t take it anymore is different.” – Damien Hirst
228. “In many ways, London is like a great big pinata, and everyone who lives here is like an excited, blindfolded child with a heart full of hope and a big flailing stick. Aim that stick right and London will split at the seams like a ruptured spleen, showering you with the most extraordinary places to visit, places like you won’t find anywhere else in the world. Get it wrong and the chances are you’ll lose your footing and end up in a frustrated, eyeless heap.” – Paul Carr
229. “I believe we shall come to care about people less and less. The more people one knows the easier it becomes to replace them. It’s one of the curses of London.” – Ambrose Bierce
230. “Living in London is like being an inmate of a reformatory school. Everywhere you turn you run into some regulation designed for your own protection. The Government is like the School Matron with her keys jangling at her waist. She orders you about, good-humouredly enough, but all the same, in no uncertain terms.” – Charles Ritchie
Endearing Quotes About London For Instagram Captions
231. “London always reminds me of a brain. It is similarly convoluted and circuitous. A lot of cities, especially American ones like New York and Chicago, are laid out in straight lines. Like the circuits on computer chips, there are a lot of right angles in cities like this. But London is a glorious mess.” – James Geary
232. “London, with its monotonous and melancholy houses, seems like an inharmonious patchwork, as if pieced together without design. Yet it is lovable in its sprawling confusion.” – Joseph Fort Newton
233. “Spare London, for London, is like the city that thou lovedst.” – Thomas Nash
234. “To us, London is a hundred different places. It is never easy to know exactly what we mean when we use the word. Indeed, to the question ” What is London? ” there is no satisfactory answer unless it is that it is the original little walled city that still exists. It contains St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Mansion House, the Guildhall, the Bank of England, and the London Bridge. Thousands of people work there in the day-time, but no one sleeps there at night but the Lord Mayor of London and a few hundred caretakers. Yet the physical boundaries of this ancient city are still visible. It is still possible to walk along the line of the Roman Wall that centuries ago limited the size of London to one square mile.” – H V Morton
235. ‘I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was therefore as free as air – or as free as an income of eleven shillings and sixpence a day will permit a man to be. Under such circumstances, I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained.’ – Arthur Conan Doyle
236. “You will recognise, my boy, the first sign of old age: it is when you go out into the streets of London and realise for the first time how young the policemen look.” – Sir Seymour Hicks
Interesting Quotes About London
237. “The interesting thing about London is that there are always stylish surprises around every corner.” – Natalie Massenet
238. “London opens to you like a novel itself… It is divided into chapters, the chapters into scenes, the scenes into sentences; it opens to you like a series of rooms, doors and passages. Mayfair to Piccadilly to Soho to the Strand.” – Anna Quindlen
239. “This melancholy London – I sometimes imagine that the souls of the lost are compelled to walk through its streets perpetually. One feels them passing like a whiff of air.” – William Butler Yeats
240. “The truth is, that in London it is always a sickly season. Nobody is healthy in London, nobody can be.” – Jane Austen
241. “London is a cluster of communities, great and small, famous and unsung; a city of contrasts, a congregation of diversity.” – Roy Porter
242. “London doesn’t love the latent or the lurking, has neither time, nor taste, nor sense for anything less discernible than the red flag in front of the steam-roller. It wants cash over the counter and letters ten feet high.” – Henry James
Quotes About Experiencing London
243. “Sir, if you wish to have a just notion of the magnitude of this city, you must not be satisfied with seeing its great streets and squares but must survey the innumerable little lanes and courts. It is not in the showy evolutions of buildings but in the multiplicity of human habitations which are crowded together, that the wonderful immensity of London consists.” – Samuel Johnson
244. “London is like a dream come true. As I ramble through it, I am haunted by the curious feeling of something half-forgotten, but still dimly remembered, as a reminiscence of some previous state of existence. It is at once familiar and strange.” – Joseph Fort Newton
245. “The City of London, whose resident population hardly equals that of Dover, but whose precincts over a million persons enter daily, Sunday excepted, on business bent.” – A. H. Beavan
246. “From the top of the bus she could see the vast bowl of London spreading out to the horizon: splendid shops with mannequins in the window, interesting people, and already a much bigger world.” – Julia Gregson
247. “I have often amused myself with thinking how different a place London is to different people.” – James Boswell
248. “The streets of London have their map, but our passions are uncharted. What are you going to meet if you turn this corner?” – Virginia Woolf
249. I came to London. It had become the center of my world and I had worked hard to come to it. And I was lost.” – V. S. Naipaul
Short Quotes About London For Instagram Captions
250. ‘Nothing is certain in London but expense.’ – William Shenstone
251. “The City is a world within itself” – D. Morrier Evans
252. “The parks be the lungs of London.” – Charles Dickens
253. “London is the clearing-house of the world.” – Joseph Chamberlain
254. “London is like a cold dark dream sometimes.” – Jean Rhys
255. “London is a labyrinth, half of stone and half of flesh.” – Peter Ackroyd
256. “London’s like a forest. We shall be lost in it.” – Mary Elizabeth Braddon
257. “London is a roost for every bird.” – Benjamin Disraeli
258. ‘London is a glorious mess’ – James Geary
259. “London is a modern Babylon.” – Benjamin Disraeli
260. “London is a bad habit one hates to lose.” – William Sansom
Charming London Quotes For Instagram Captions
261. “London has long been regarded as a vibrant, busy, historical metropolitan city rich in history and beautiful iconic buildings. However, like most cities of this scale, it also has a characteristic local side: beautiful village-like enclaves that are extremely photogenic and full of character. Partner all that with a unique style and you’re left with something pretty special.” – Siobhan Ferguson
262. “London is like a great bird-cage. She, that innocent, gentle and single-hearted, is fluttering in there along with other millions. She can’t get out. She’s at the mercy of any cold-eyed, rapacious brute who will get her into a corner.” – Maurice Hewlett
263. “London is a friend whom I can leave knowing without a doubt that she will be the same to me when I return, to-morrow or forty years hence, and that, if I do not return, she will sing the same song to inheritors of my happy lot in future generations. Always, whether sleeping or waking, I shall know that in Spring the sun rides over the silver streets of Kensington and that in the Gardens the shorn sheep find very green pasture. Always the plaited threads of traffic will wind about the reel of London; always as you up Regent Street from Pall Mall and look back, Westminster will rise with you like a dim sun over the horizon of Whitehall. That dive down Fleet Street and up to the black and white cliffs of St. Paul’s will forever bring to mind some rumor of romance.” – Stella Benson
264. “Unreal City. Under the brown fog of a winter dawn. A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many, I had not thought death had undone so many. Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled. And each man fixed his eyes before his feet.” – T.S. Eliot
Quotes About London From Books
265. “I long to go through the crowded streets of your mighty London, to be in the midst of the whirl and rush of humanity, to share its life, its change, its death, and all that makes it what it is.” – Bram Stoker, Dracula
266. “A mighty mass of brick, and smoke, and shipping, dirty and dusty, but as wide as eye could reach, with here and there a sail just skipping in sight, then lost amidst the forestry of masts; a wilderness of steeples peeping on tiptoe through their sea-coal canopy; A huge, dun cupola, like a foolscap crown on a fool’s head – and there is London Town.” – Lord Byron, Don Juan
267. “The appearance presented by the streets of London an hour before sunrise, on a summer’s morning, is most striking even to the few whose unfortunate pursuits of pleasure, or scarcely less unfortunate pursuits of business, cause them to be well acquainted with the scene. There is an air of cold, solitary desolation about the noiseless streets which we are accustomed to see thronged at other times by a busy, eager crowd, and over the quiet, closely-shut buildings, which throughout the day are swarming with life and bustle, that is very impressive.” – Charles Dickens, Sketches by Boz
268. “The City seems so much more in earnest: its business, its rush, its roar are such serious things, sights and sounds. The City is getting its living – the West-End but enjoying its pleasure.” – Charlotte Bronte, Villette
269. “The lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.” – Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
270. “Scars can come in useful. I have one myself above my left knee which is a perfect map of the London underground.” – J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Quotes About Boredom In London
271. “There’s no time to be bored in a city as beautiful as this.” – Unknown
272. “It’s brilliant, you can’t ever get bored of London cos even if you live here for like a hundred and fifty years you still won’t ever know everything about it. There’s always something new. Like, you’re walking round somewhere you’ve known since you were born and you look up and there’s an old clock on the side of a building you have never seen before, or there’s a little gargoyles face over a window or something.” – Richard Rider
273. ‘Do you realize that people die of boredom in London suburbs? It’s the second biggest cause of death among the English in general among boredom.’ ― Alexander McCall Smith
274. “London is a huge, stony desert: even boredom feels endless there.” – Sandor Marai
Thought Provoking Quotes About London
275. ‘And when, at last, I stood in London with ten pounds in my hand – five of which I promptly lost – the ancestors dwelling in my blood who, all my life, had summoned me with insistent eldritch voices, murmured together, like contented cats.’ ― P.L. Travers
276. “I knew this with my intuition, and yet I sat there in my darkroom, looking at the hazed wet brilliance of the purple London night sky, longing with my whole being.” – Doris Lessing
277. “There are two places in the world where men can most effectively disappear – the city of London and the South Seas.” – Herman Melville
278. “You are now in London, that great sea, whose ebb and flow at once is deaf and loud, and on the shore vomits its wrecks, and still howls on for more yet in its depth what treasures!” – Percy Bysshe Shelley
279. “Proportion. You can’t help thinking about it in these London streets, where it doesn’t exist. It’s like listening to a symphony of cats to walk along with them. Senseless discords and a horrible disorder all the way. We need no barbarians from outside; they’re on the premises, all the time.” – Aldous Huxley
280. “A city like London was always going to be a paradox, the best of it so very riddled with the opposite, so Swiss-cheesed with moral holes.” – China Mieville
281. “I journeyed to London, to time-kept City. Where the river flows, with foreign flotations. There I was told: we have too many churches and too few chop-houses.” – T.S. Eliot
282. ‘The best bribe which London offers today to the imagination is that in such a vast variety of people and conditions, one can believe there is room for persons of romantic character to exist, and that the poet, the mystic, and the hero may hope to confront their counterparts’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Quotes By People Who Don’t Like London
283. “There’s a hole in the world like a great black pit and the vermin of the world inhabit it and it’s filled with people who are filled with shit and it goes by the name of London.” – Stephen Sondheim
284. “London’s like a monster with one hundred arms as wide as it’s long. It’s noisy. It’s dirty. It’s everything. You’ll see.” – Kevin Crossley
285. “London is an endless skirmish between angles and emptiness.” – China Mieville
286. “Never was there a dingier, uglier, less picturesque city than London. It is really wonderful that so much brick and stone, for centuries together, should have been built up with so poor a result.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
287. “London’s like a black-browed brute that gets an unholy influence over you.” – Robert Smythe
288. “I walk to Oxford Street and climb on the number 8. It’s freezing and it starts to rain and it’s the ugliest bus I’ve ever seen, rattling down the ugliest streets, in the ugliest city, in the ugliest country, in the ugliest of all possible worlds.” – David Thewlis.
289. “London is a hell, where the Moloch of globalization is worshipped through the nightshifts.” – Yosefa Loshitzky
290. “Go where we may, rest where we will, Eternal London haunts us still.” -Thomas Moore
Song Lyrics About London
291.”Take me back to London” – Ed Sheeran
292. “A foggy day in London town” – Ella Fitzgerald – A Foggy Day
293. “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner that I love London so. Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner that I think of her wherever I go. I get a funny feeling inside of me just walking up and down. Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner that I love London town.” – Hubert Gregg, Maybe It’s Because I’m A Londoner
294. “Living the dream like a London Queen” – Charli XCX – London Queen
295. “You might laugh you might frown, walkin’ round London town. Sun is in the sky oh why oh why would I wanna be anywhere else?” – Lily Allen, LDN
296. “They say home is where the heart is but God, I love the English” – Taylor Swift – London Boy
297. “London is the place for me” – Lord Kitchener
298. “East London is a vampire. It sucks the joy right out of me” – Bloc Party, Song For Clay
299. “You know I love a London boy” – Taylor Swift
300. “London, London, London town. You can toughen up or get thrown around.” – Kano, London Town
301. “An empty bench in Soho Square” – Kirsty MacColl
302. “I was waiting for a cross-town train in the London underground when it struck me that I’ve been waiting since birth to find a love that would look and sound like a movie” – The Postal Service, Clark Gable
303. “My London, London Bridge wanna go down like” – Fergie – London Bridge
305. “A rainy night in Soho” – The Pogues
306. “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner that I love London town” – Hubert Gregg
307. “I like it in the city when two worlds collide. You get the people and the government, everybody taking different sides” – Adele, Hometown Glory
308. “And now I love high tea, stories from uni, and the West End” – Taylor Swift – London Boy
SUMMARY OF LONDON QUOTES, PUNS & CAPTIONS FOR INSTAGRAM
Hopefully you enjoyed these London captions, puns and quotes and were able to find the perfect one to go with your Instagram photos! Whether it’s a famous quote, a funny pun, short captions or song lyric, I’m sure you found one perfect for your London photo!
Do you know any other famous London captions? Feel free to leave them in the comments below!
Looking for more captions and quotes about other European destinations? Check out:
Like this post on London Quotes, Puns & Captions for Instagram? Pin it for later!