Are you a radiographer looking for some free online CPD courses in Radiography? Here are the links to literally HUNDREDS of hours worth of FREE Radiography online CPD courses that all come with certificates of completion. Whether you need proof of CPD for an upcoming audit, or you quit being a radiographer some years ago and are now looking to return to radiography, or you simply want to add more to your current CPD file, these free online CPD courses will help you if you need to submit proof of CPD to your assessing Board for credits.
On all the websites you create a login so that your certificate will print with your name on. Many of the certificates also have QR codes on so your certificate can be validated if necessary.
Remember in addition to doing online CPD courses you will need to do a mixture of CPD activities to incorporate different ways of learning. There are so many ways we can do CPD and online courses is just one way.
Free Online CPD Radiography Courses With Certificates For Radiographers
I have personally completed all of the below courses in this section so I can vouch that not only are the courses mentioned free, but you don’t need to pay to be a member on any of the websites.
All of these online courses come with instant certificates to download for free on successful completion of passing an online quiz after doing the course.
With all of the quizzes, the pass mark is around 80%. If you fail it first time you can of course re-do the quiz again as many times as necessary until you pass. I had added the links directly to the courses to make it easier for you to access them.
The International Society for Radiographers and Radiologic Technologists (ISSRT) website has some brilliant free online CPD radiography courses for radiographers, including:
- Dose Reduction Techniques
- Introduction to PACS
- Clinical Audit in Medical Imaging
- Digital Imaging: Issues in Quality & Radiation Safety
- Practical Guidelines for Radiographers During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Norwich Image Interpretation Course
The Norwich Image Interpretation Course is a fantastic website to improve your plain film red dot skills. If you are based in the UK and have been to the Red Dot Course in London, this is pretty much the online version.There are 12 self-tests on areas of the appendicular and axial skeleton (so 12 certificates you can gain). Each section has 20 questions with radiographs which you can zoom in on.
You will need to score 95-100% on the tests to be able to download your certificate. If you don’t get them all right, you can retake the questions until you do get the correct answer. For plain film radiographers, this is one of the best free CPD online radiography courses you can do, especially if you are keen to get into plain film reporting.
Guerbet is a manufacturer of contrast agents used in Medical Imaging. Their website provides several free online CPD courses with certificates suitable for those in the radiography field that are really good. For example courses on:
- Contrast Safety
- Eliminating Medical Errors in Radiology
- Infectious Diseases and Infection Control in Radiology
- Providing Safe Patient Care By Preventing Healthcare Acquired Conditions & Serious Reportable Events
- Radiation Dosing
The Siemens Healthineers PEPConnect website is another great website that offers free online CPD courses for Radiographers working in all modalities. PEP Connect has many useful general courses about x-ray and the modalities, as well as specific applications courses that show you how to use Siemens equipment and software used in digital imaging (for example Siemens CT scanners, Siemens C-Arms and Siemens X-ray equipment).
This is particularly useful if you are returning to radiography and need a recap in equipment you previously worked with, or if are unfamiliar to a certain piece of Siemens equipment that you know you will be using (for example you are moving to a new department or your hospital is upgrading their equipment). Or even simply if you are currently using the specific Siemens equipment and want to learn more about it.
To access the online courses you’ll want to type ‘online training‘ into the searchbar, or click on the icons that have ‘online training’ written on them, as these are the online courses that come with certificates. At the end of each course you’ll have to answer some multiple choice questions and score a minimum of 80% in the test to be able to get your certificate. The general courses that I found the most useful include:
- CT Basics
- CT Image Quality
- Management of Scan & Contrast Media Injection
- Introduction to the main components of a CT scanner
- Metal Artefacts Reduction in CT
- Digital Radiography Positioning Tips & Tricks
- Basic Physics for the Radiographer
There are also specific courses on the Multix and Ysio DR Siemens systems that were very helpful.
In regards to C-arms (both Image Intensifiers and Mobile C-arms), there were really useful courses on the Cios and Artis Zee Systems.
There were also several courses on Mammography, MRI and PET systems that I am sure will be extremely valuable to radiographers trained/interested in these fields.
The e-learning section of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) website is another useful site to gain free online CPD radiography certificates. You’ll need to create an account to access the site (free of course), and then type the course names or keywords into the search bar. Some useful courses include:
- Radiation Dose Management in Computed Tomography
- Radiation Protection During C-Arm Fluoroscopy
- Radiation protection in fluoroscopy guided interventional procedures
Practice Nurse Central
When I was looking for free online CPD radiography courses online, I also looked on Google for free online CPD courses for nurses, as radiography CPD shouldn’t just cover imaging. Subjects such as Infection Control, PPE, CPR, anaphylaxis are all important for us to know. The Practice Nurse Central website has a good free Infection Control course that comes with a certificate and counts for 1 hour.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has a section of their website called OpenWHO where you can access many short courses for free, and gain a certificate on completion. The ones I found most useful for radiographers included:
- Recognising and Managing Anaphylaxis
- Introduction to Infection Prevention & Control
- The Role of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Future Learn is a great website that has hundreds of free online courses with certificates (not only in Healthcare but in many subjects). Lots of the courses are delivered by world class Universities and organisations. Some of the courses you need to pay for, but the ones that have ‘free digital upgrade’ next to them are free. Pay attention to the dates as you can’t access all the courses straight away – some start in the next coming weeks so you’ll need to sign up to them. Some courses also only release one module a week, so you can’t get the certificate until all modules have been released (but some you can complete all in one go). Some of the free online courses on Future Learn that I found good that you can include in your radiography CPD are:
- Covid 19: Effective Nursing In Times Of Crisis (certified by John Hopkins University)
- Safeguarding Adults: Level 3 Training (certified by NHS Health Education England)
Free CPD Online Radiography Courses For Radiographers That Require A Work Email
The following are courses I personally have not completed so I cannot vouch for them, however they have been recommended by former senior colleagues. For all the courses below you will need your official work email to be granted access, so this may not be possible if you are returning to radiography and currently don’t have a work email.
Similar to the Siemens website, you can go on the GE Cares site and access some specialist applications courses about GE equipment, as well as trainings and webinars. Note you will need the email address of your organisational company to gain access to the e-learning.
E-Learning For Health
E-Learning For Health is a website available to those based in the UK only as the content has been purchased by the NHS (healthcare system in the UK). You will need your work email to gain access, or if you have access to OpenAthens you can gain access through that way.
Radiography CPD Online Free Courses For Radiographers in Lower Income Countries
Radiopaedia is a great interactive learning website suitable for Radiographers and Radiologists looking to get some CPD points online. The website features over 85 hours worth of video and interactive content.
There is free access to the online courses if you come from one of 125 middle and low income countries – listed at Tier 4 on the website (click here to see if your country is included). You will need to submit proof that you live in one of these countries before you are granted access (proof such as a utility bill or something similar).
Countries with higher incomes such as USA, Australia, New Zealand, most of Western Europe and parts of The Middle East and Asia will need to pay to access courses, however the pricing is reasonable. Seeing as salaries in these countries are much higher, it is only fair to charge users in these countries, and therefore help to keep the site free and accessible for those with much lower incomes. Pricing is cheaper for Healthcare Professionals who aren’t Doctors. Plus you can get group discounts for groups of 5 or more, which helps lower the price even more.
Many of the courses are several hours long, with video and written content and are extremely useful and full of information. All the courses also come with a downloadable certificate. Some of the most useful courses for radiographers are:
- Trauma Radiology Course
- Trauma CT Brain Learning Pathway
- Radiology Review Course
- Emergency Radiology Course
- Medical Imaging Anatomy Course
- Abdominal Emergency Radiology Course
- Stroke Learning Pathway
- X-Ray Interpretation Courses
There are also many shorter courses (less than 1 hour long) that come with certificates – you’ll find them under the “Exclusive Lectures’ drop down list.
From time to time there are also some online workshops on Radiopaedia that you can attend, and you receive a certificate for your attendance. These are good to get as they count as another form of CPD besides online courses.
Radiography CPD Online Courses That Are Free But You Pay For A Certificate
There are several online CPD radiography courses that are free, however if you want a certificate as proof that you completed the course, then you will need to pay for the certificate. Note that often you don’t realise this until you get to the end of the course, which can be a bit frustrating! Examples include:
- Radiology Reception Essentials Course on Radtrain – great if you will be working in Australia as it focuses on the Australian Healthcare system. If you want to download your certificate, you won’t be able to download it instantly like on the other websites. you’ll need to wait one day for it to become available, and then you’ll need to pay $19 to download the certificate.
- Alison courses – Alison is a great website that has so many free courses (not just in healthcare but literally every subject you can think of!). They have short course Certificates that take a few hours to complete, and they have Diplomas too, which take around 15 hours to complete. The most useful courses I found for Radiographers include the Diploma in Human Anatomy & Physiology, as well as the Basic Life Support and CPR, AED and First Aid Certificates. To print the certificate will cost around $65.
Radiography CPD Online Courses That Are Not Free
And of course there are Radiography CPD Courses online that are not free which you may choose to purchase. Examples include:
- Radiology Masterclass – you’ll find several online courses on here that you can pay for (usually around £100 per course), all of which are accredited by The Royal College of Radiologists, London.
- Aunt Minnie – Click on the tab titled CME that will take you to CPD and access to view the course titles. Courses cost $15 per CPD hour accreditation and a certificate is available after the student has completed the whole course and answered all the questions correctly in the quiz.
- CT Champion Course on Radtrain – course is $160 Australian Dollars and includes all the things you need to become a great CT Radiographer.
Other Online CPD Radiography Courses For Radiographers
The Philips Learning Connection website also has lots of online CPD radiography courses (some free and some paid). You will however, need to register your interest to attend any courses, and you will hear back from the course coordinators within 3 business days.
The Society of Radiographers (SOR) website is a paid membership website for radiographers that has some access to CPD courses and sessions. If you are returning to radiography, you are granted 3 months free access to the membership. Personally I don’t find this website particularly useful if you are looking for free online CPD courses with certificates.
This list of free online CPD radiography courses with certificates is certainly not exhaustive. If you know of any more free online CPD radiography courses please feel free to comment below or shoot me a message and I will update the post to keep it relevant for everyone! Hope you enjoyed reading and good luck with your CPD!